Monrovia Elementary School

Today's Students・Tomorrow's Leaders
Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle
Monrovia Elementary has done it again! We were awarded the Blue Ribbon Lighthouse Award. May we continue to Listen, Learn, Lead and Love for continued success.
Cafeteria » Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers



Online application available at

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn.  Madison County Schools offer healthy meals every school day.  Breakfast costs $1.75; Lunch costs $2.25 for K-8th and $2.50 for

9th - 12th.  Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals.  Reduced price is $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch. This packet includes an application for free or reduced price meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

  1. WHO CAN GET FREE OR REDUCED PRICE MEALS? All children in households receiving benefits from (AL SNAP), (the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations) or (AL TANF), are eligible for free meals. Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals. Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals. Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on the chart listed on the attached “How to Apply page”.
  2. HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS HOMELESS, MIGRANT, OR RUNAWAYS? Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call the homeless liaison Anna Watts (256)852-2557 ext. 61715 or Tim Solley (256)852-2557 ext. 61403
  3. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD? No.  Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.  Return the completed application to: Madison County Board of Education Attn: Amy Williams P.O. Box 226 Huntsville, Al  35804.  Or you may return the completed application to your child’s school.
  4. SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification,

Contact Amy Williams, 256-852-2557 ext. 61703 or immediately.

  1. CAN I APPLY ONLINE? Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit to begin or to learn more about the online application process. Contact Amy Williams 256-852-2557 ext. 61703
  2. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER ONE?  Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year.  You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.
  3. I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please send in an application.
  4. WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED? Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.
  5. IF I DON’T QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
  6. WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL’S DECISION ABOUT MY APPLICATION? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Matt Massey, Superintendent.  P.O. Box 226 Huntsville, Al 35804.  Phone: 256-852-2557.
  7. MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U. S. CITIZEN? Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.
  8. WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME? List the amount you normally receive.  For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
  9. WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT? Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.
  10. WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.
  11. WHAT IF THERE ISN’T ENOUGH SPACE ON THE APPLICATION FOR MY FAMILY? List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Amy Williams 256-852-2557 ext. 61703 or or your school to receive a second application.
  12. MY FAMILY NEEDS MORE HELP. ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE MIGHT APPLY FOR?  To find out how to apply for [AL SNAP] or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-382-0499.                 

If you have other questions or need help, call 256-852-2557 ex 61703  

Si necesita ayuda, por favor llame al telefono: 256-852-2557 ex 61703

Si vous voudriez d’aide, contactez nous au numero: 256-852-2557 ex 61703

If long distance call, your local school cafeteria manager:  Owens Cross Roads: 256-851-3240  New Hope Elementary: 256-851-3260   New Hope High: 256-851-3280 

You will be notified when the application is approved or denied.  Sincerely,

 Haugtvedt / CNP Supervisor